Why do I fly?

In search of a purpose greater than simply being. The voice inside my head and thoughts on "A Purpose Driven Life"

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

It's me, but I can't get myself to go away. (Chp 1)

It's not about you. The first sentence of the first chapter. Ordinarily it would be a simple concept to accept; it's not about you. Also note that you'd think a book about finding a purpose in life would be concerned with everything that is YOU! In this case neither is correct. Its not a simple concept and purpose, apparently, is not concerned with you, but more concerned with Him. The two concepts go hand in hand but they clash with what we understand as purpose. It is not about me, it is about God and therefore, it is not about my purpose, its about His purpose. The internal conflict arises, and the real difficulty stems from relating His purpose with your purpose. Human nature lends us to be habitually selfish, we aspire to get ahead and be the best. Even when our goal is noble, we do it for personal satisfaction, for personal gain or both. What is asked of us here, is to look beyond ourselves, open our hearts and trust in the Lord's purpose for us. We are asked to fulfill his purpose. We don't see our personal gain or satisfaction in that; human nature sees no immediate benefit in serving someone else's purpose. What we don't see is that in fulfilling His purpose, in walking hand in hand with God, in doing what God directs us to do, we do fulfill our purpose. When you walk with God, when you serve Him, He fills you with a joy that no good deed or act in this world will make you feel. When you sacrifice your life for His purpose, you gain so much more than what it cost you. It's blind faith, honest hope, and pure love of God.

I ask God to help me let go of everything that is selfish in me, help me let go of all my worldly goals, help me let go of my desires and give me an open heart and the understanding and the ability to give myself to you to serve your purpose. Amen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

U know Fady I always had the same attitude when I thought of how to be a good Christian or how to lead a life according to God's will, I started with myself and thought of things that I can do but there was always something missing and ofcourse there was always a gap between the practical life and the spiritual life. When I started reading this chapter, a lot of things made more sense to me like the example given about the man going to a certain destination where he was told that this path doesn't lead at all and that he had to go back and change direction. I discovered that sometimes we take a wrong attitude, direction and insist on pushing it or forcing it assuming it will lead us to where we want and we end up frustrated and sick of trying, not knowing why things went wrong, although our trials were sincere. This chapter explained a lot to me. It made a lot of sense to me that when I do what God's plans for me, it gives me the satisfaction and fills in the part that is always unsatisfied that is there when I do things my way.

9/14/2006 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home