Why do I fly?

In search of a purpose greater than simply being. The voice inside my head and thoughts on "A Purpose Driven Life"

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Some things you just know...

This post isn't about or related to my readings in The Purpose Driven Life, but its about my spiritual journey so I feel it is appropriate here.

There are many things that we go through in life that we don't fully comprehend or understand the magnitude of until later in our lives. We may also go through things several times before it strikes a chord and makes sense or we can relate or understand.

I read my bible. But its always very difficult to read my bible alone, because it always feels like a story you read at night. There are several ways to read something; you can read just to get the story, you read quickly and move on, another way to read is a more academic approach where you study more than you read, u take apart every bit and analyze it, also another way to read, is to read in search of something, like an answer to a question.

I've found that when I read the bible, I should read it in search of an answer to a question, and the question is, 'What is God telling me about how to live my life?' This may not be a right approach, this may not work other people, but I find it brings meaning to what I read and it makes it understandable in a way that I can apply.

Most recently, I was looking to read about God's will and using my bibles resources I found myself at Matthew 26. It is when God has the last supper and prophesies His betrayal, when He goes to pray and when He gets arrested. Its a chapter I've read many times before. When I read it this time, I was moved, I was deeply saddened, to an extent I cannot describe. I felt hurt inside and very very sad. I will not get into the details of my thoughts and emotions except to say I had never been moved by the bible this way.

The next day I chose to continue and I read Matthew 27. This time I was not only moved, I was shaken, and violently. My sadness at the treatment of Jesus and His crucifixion I cannot explain. I had always believed that Jesus was meant to be crucified and that it was a happy occasion for us as Christians, but the sadness and sorrow and pain I felt made me understand, for the first time, the sadness and the sorrow and the pain that our church expresses during the holy week before Easter Sunday.

I find that if you ask God, He answers.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A while ago I heard a sermon for Father Matta ElMiskeen (May God rest his soul) and I keep thinking of this one sentence he kept repeating about finding answers in the Bible. He said "Don't read the Bible with the intention to know or find answers to your life but read to learn about GOD." At first it sounded like the same thing, and I didn't quite get what he meant. But then I realised, all he wanted to say was don't go looking in the Bible for answers to your questions just so you know, but open your hearts and read with the intention that you want to learn and understand the Word of God. Once you learn and understand what God is saying, it automatically becomes your way of living and you learn your answers along the way, just by having understood God. The closer you get to God and His word the better you'll find your answers... So read with the intention to understand and learn. :) God bless you and may you always Hear him clearly. :)

9/20/2006 2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home